Schoeps MK 41 Supercardioid Capsule
The MK 41 effectively attenuates diffuse sound energy and produces a clear, dry sound pickup. The MK 41’s polar pattern is exceptionally frequency independent, meaning that sounds from the side and back are strongly attenuated, but are picked up with false colouration. This feature has made the MK 41 the international standard for indoor film sound.
The susceptibility of the MK 41 to acoustic feedback is lower than any other Schoeps capsule type, provided that no loudspeaker radiates directly from the rear. The sensitivity minimum of the supercardioid occurs at an approximate angle of incidence at 125o. The directional effect is independent of frequency, so that off-axis and diffuse sound are captured free of any false colouration for a more natural sounding result. Making the MK 41 a real advantage over using shotgun microphones which have appreciably greater directivity only at the higher frequencies and a frequency response that all depends on the direction of the sound incidence.
Overall, in many recording situations the MK 42 is an interesting alternative to a shotgun microphone even if its small dimensions don’t appear to suggest high directivity. As a capsule without an interference tube in front of it, the MK 41 can also be placed closer to sound sources.
- Supercardioid directional pattern
- High directivity, at low and medium frequencies comparable to that of a shotgun microphone
- Natural sound due to flat frequency response which remains largely the same for all directions of pickup. This is particularly important for indoor recording
- Preferred uses: recording dialogue for film sound; as a spot microphone in the orchestra and on the opera stage
- Pickup pattern: Supercardioid
- Frequency range: 40 Hz - 26 kHz with CMC 6 / CMR | 40 Hz - 41 kHz with CMC 6xt
- Sensitivity: -36 dB (V/Pa), 16 mV/Pa with CMC 6
- Equivalent noise level (A-weighted): 14 dB with CMC 6
- Equivalent noise level (CCIR): 23 dB with CMC 6
- Signal-to-noise ratio (A-weighted): 80 dB with CMC 6
- Maximum sound pressure level (THD < 0.5 %): 131 dB-SPL with CMC 6
- Length: 22mm
- Diameter: 20mm
- Weight: 17g
- Surface finish: Matte grey