Tascam Model 12 Mixer
An Integrated Production Suite for Music and Multimedia Creators
Tascam Model 12 is a compact all-in-one integrated mixing and recording suite designed for music and multimedia creators, songwriters and performers.
It consists of a 10-input mixer, a 12-track version of the highly acclaimed Tascam multi-track audio recorder, USB audio interface, MIDI connectivity, DAW control functions, and unique podcasting capability including mix-minus and smartphone input.
Combining the feel of an analogue user interface with the efficient workflow and pristine quality associated with digital recording and production, the compact and affordable Model 12 supports your creative process from start to finish.
12-Track Recording and 10-Track Playback
The Model 12’s intuitive internal 12-track recorder creates WAV files of up to 24-bit/48 kHz audio quality directly to an SD card. Up to ten tracks can be played back simultaneously. Supporting metronome, punch-in/out, and overdubbing functions, the internal recorder also allows WAV files to be imported from another Tascam Model Series mixer like the Model 12, Model 16 or Model 24. And, of course, it is possible to export tracks in WAV file format which can then be imported directly into a DAW for further editing or production.
12 In / Out USB Audio Interface for DAW Connectivity
A USB connector facilitates connecting a computer to the Model 12 for playback and recording utilizing a wide range of popular DAWs. Sounds can be recorded in a DAW to create precise and original tracks, and then played back during live performances using Model 12 only. The USB audio interface can be used simultaneously with the built-in multi-track recorder. Model 12 also supports class compliant mode and can be connected to Apple iOS devices using an optional adapter.
DAW Control Integration
Basic control for an external DAW using HUI/MCU protocol emulation is integrated for tactile control of most major DAWs. Controllable parameters include Faders, Mutes, Pans, Solos, Record Arm, Play, Record, Stop, FF/Rew, Jog.
Click Output with Tap Tempo Feature
A dedicated click output with TAP TEMPO allows the tempo to be controlled and monitored in both live or recording environments. This allows live performers to play with tracks using the built-in multi-track engine or music creators to keep track of the tempo when recording. The click sound can also be assigned to each MAIN, SUB or AUX output, or, with individual volume setting, to headphones outputs 1 and 2.
Combine Your Setup with MIDI Equipment
Standard MIDI input and output make it possible to use keyboards, drum machines, controllers, and other sources that employ MIDI technology with the Model 12. This also allows playback-start commands to be triggered or external multi-track recorders and other external MIDI devices to be synchronized with the Model 12.
Podcast your Latest Music and Live Performances to your Fan Base
The Model 12 incorporates several features for podcasting and internet streaming like mix-minus, smartphone input, multiple mic-ready channels, Bluetooth pairing, dual headphone monitoring, and internal multi-track recording. Use the Model 12 as a versatile live production recorder, USB audio interface and live streaming tool.
All-in-One Audio Protection from Recording to Mastering
The Model 12’s seamless integrated workflow facilitates less focus on the technical and more on the creative part. The built-in multi-track recorder allows one-button recording and playback. And the comfortable, familiar feel of the 60-mm faders, one-knob compressor, three-band EQ, and high-quality Tascam effects enable fast and intuitive tweaking of mixes and tones.
Pristine Audio Quality
Tascam Ultra-HDDA mic preamps with an Equivalent Input Noise (EIN) of –128 dB ensure low noise and natural, high-grade sound quality. Apart from microphones and line-level sources, all inputs can also be used for direct connection of guitars, basses, and other high-impedance (Hi-Z) sound sources.
Compact Size with Plenty of Inputs
The compact Model 12 packs eight XLR microphone inputs (with switchable +48V phantom power), ten TRS line inputs, a 3.5-mm TRRS input (for a smartphone) and a Bluetooth 5.0 input to handle any small-format recording or live production environment.
Dual Headphones Outputs for Creative Teamwork
The Model 12 offers two independant headphone busses with output jacks on the top panel to allow monitoring of two discrete mixes from AUX 1/2 and/or the main stereo bus simultaneously for performers and engineers alike.
Selectable PFL/AFL modes and solo-in-place (SIP) allow for flexible monitoring of individual channels, eliminating the need to mute each single channel when dialing in the perfect mix.
Synchronize Your Sound to Your Video Image during Streaming
An adjustable output delay, added with firmware v1.20, allows to compensate for the annoying time offset between video image and sound signal which often occurs during live streaming to the Internet. In the menu, you can select a suitable time, by which the audio signal is delayed before reaching the computer via USB, so that image and sound arrive at the audience synchronously.
Output delay can be set in a range from one to 2000 milliseconds (ms) – wide enough for all network types and camera systems. In addition to the USB output signal, the delay can be set to also affect the hardware outputs and thus the monitoring signal or a connected video encoder such as the Tascam VS-R265.
- 10-channel mixer with built-in 12-track recorder and USB audio interface
- Ten analogue inputs on six mono and two stereo channels
- Eight mono mic inputs on XLR connectors with switchable phantom power (48 V)
- Ultra-HDDA microphone preamps on inputs 1–6
- Eight channels can be used with high-impedance instruments like electric guitars/basses
- Ten balanced line inputs (six mono, two stereo)
- Multi-purpose stereo channel for input from mobile devices via Bluetooth or TRRS smartphone connector (CH 9/10)
- Inserts on input channels 1 and 2
- Mix-minus function on smartphone mini-jack input
- Two Aux outputs (monitor, effects) and two stereo outputs with independent master faders (Main, Sub)
- Monitoring can be selected between PFL (pre-fader), AFL (after-fader) and SIP (solo-in-place)
- Dedicated click output with tap tempo feature
- One-knob compressor for all input channels
- Three-band equalizer with sweepable mids for all input channels
- Switchable low-cut filter (100 Hz) on each channel
- Semi-parametric EQ with sweepable mid band for aux or main outputs
- Built-in Bluetooth receiver for wireless playback
- On-board effects processor
- 16 effects types
- Can be used on all input channels, aux busses, sub and main stereo bus
- Can be turned on/off by an optional footswitch (Tascam RC-1F)
- Compact 60-mm faders
- 12-segment LED output level meters
- XLR balanced outputs for main stereo bus
- TRS balanced outputs for sub and aux outputs
- Two headphones outputs with separate level controls
- Tascam multi-track recording engine, uses SD cards as storage media (up to 512 GB)
- Up to 12 tracks (10 input channels + stereo mix) can be recorded without the need for a computer
- Recording/playback format: Linear PCM (WAV format, 44.1/48 kHz, 16/24 Bit)
- Overdubbing, punch in/out recording
- Multi-track playback for advanced live performance
- Illuminated Play/Record/Stop buttons for better legibility in poorly lit environments
Audio Interface Features:
- USB audio interface for use with Windows (ASIO) and Mac (Core Audio) computers
- Transfer to computer: 12 channels (all 10 inputs + stereo mix)
- Transfer from computer: 10 channels, assignable to each channel input
- Audio resolution 44.1/48 kHz, 16/24 bit
- USB MIDI interface function
- Simple DAW control support via HUI/MCU protocol emulation
- MIDI input and output
- Support for MIDI timecode (MTC) and MIDI clock output with song position pointer (SPP)
- Simple and quick menu operation with multi-jog dial
New in firmware version 1.10:
- Vamp playback allows to automatically or manually repeat up to ten previously marked intervals per song
- Metronome tempo can now also be changed with an audible click
- Three volume options available for the accented note of the metronome click
- New sound pattern with four bars for the count-in
New in firmware version 1.20:
- Adjustable time delay for the output signal
- Allows to compensate for a time offset between image and sound signal, which can occur, for example, during live streaming to the Internet
- In addition to the signal output via USB, the signal from the output connectors can also be delayed (for monitoring or in conjunction with a hardware encoder such as the Tascam VS-R264 or VS-R265)
- Setting range: 1–2000 milliseconds in steps of 1 ms or 100 ms
Supported Operating Systems
- Windows 11
- Windows 10 (October 2020, version 20H2)
- Windows 10 (November 2019, version 1909)
- Windows 10 (May 2019, version 1903)
- Windows 10 (April 2018, version 1803)
- Windows 8.1
- Windows 7
- macOS Big Sur (11.0)
- macOS Catalina (10.15)
- macOS Mojave (10.14)
- macOS High Sierra (10.13)
- iOS 14 / iPadOS 14
- iOS 13 / iPadOS 13
- iOS 12
- iOS 11