Sontronics SIGMA 2 phantom-powered ribbon microphone
Since the release of the original Sontronics SIGMA the world’s first phantom-powered ribbon microphones 11 years ago, Sontronics are proud to release the UK-made SIGMA 2. The original SIGMA has become one of the most popular microphones thanks to its incredible performance and value for money. Making it a must-have for any studio around the world, the SIGMA 2 directly follows in these footsteps.
The SIGMA 2 features an extremely high sensitivity and incredibly low self-noise that make it perfect for capturing vocals, speech, solo woodwind, stringed instruments and guitar amps by presenting an exceptionally detailed, accurate and natural sound. The SIGMA 2 utilises the same super-sensitive ribbon motor as the original meaning it offers stunning clarity and definition in the top end but now also boasts richer mid and low tones. In addition, a pair of SIGMA 2’s either spaced separately or in an X-Y configuration can be extremely effective for overhead and room micing, piano, string quartet and other ensemble applications.
The new SIGMA 2 was designed from the ground up and is hand made at the Sontronics HQ and uses their own unique circuity, British made electronics, including a premium-quality custom-wound transformer, precision-cut and moulded British stainless-steel mesh, and CNC-engineered metal internal and external parts.
The SIGMA 2's circuitry incorporates RFI (radio frequency interference) filters that ensure that its signal remains interference-free and makes the microphone even more suited to live use than before. Sontronics microphones are the only ribbon mics in the world to boast this feature! Like with any ribbon microphone, the SIGMA 2 should be used extra care as it is very delicate, following this treatment the SIGMA 2 will give you incredible results time after time.
SIGMA 2 is supplied with its unique-style shock mount in a sturdy, foam-padded ABS flight case, which will keep your mic safely stored between sessions or when transported from one venue to another. And like with all Sontronics microphones, the SIGMA 2 is covered under a free lifetime warranty.
- Phantom-powered ribbon mic
- Made in the UK
- Clear, natural, detailed sound
- Fuller mid & low frequencies
- Unique Sontronics shock mount
- Lifetime Warranty
- Acoustic guitar
- Guitar amps (use with care!)
- Solo strings & woodwind
- In pairs for overhead & room miking
SIGMA Users include:
- Flood (U2, Foals, Editors)
- Abbey Road Studios
- Stephen Street (Blur, The Smiths)
- Josh Homme (QOTSA)
- Steve Price, composer
- Andrew Tulloch (Norah Jones, Faithless)
- Will Jackson (Kaiser Chiefs)
- Carey Willetts (Athlete)
- Simon Gogerly (Paloma Faith)
- Andy Gray, composer (TT3D, The Bourne Identity, Big Brother)
- Noko (Apollo 440)
- Julian Lloyd Webber, Cellist
- Alain Johannes (No Doubt, PJ Harvey, QOTSA, Chris Cornell)
- Air Studios
- Olly Knights (Turin Brakes)
- Alain Johannes, Producer
- Pip Williams (Status Quo, Elton John, Prague Symphonia)
- Gary Bromham (Natalie Imbruglia, Zucchero)