Neumann TLM 103 Nickel
Expected: Friday, January 05
- Neumann TLM 103 Nickel, a transformerless cardioid condenser microphone.
- One of the biggest successes in Neumann’s history.
- Features a gentle presence boost for a stunningly direct sound with breathtaking definition and ultra-low noise.
- Sets new standards for technical performance, with an incredibly low self-noise of only 7 dB-A.
- It is among the quietest microphones available.
Neumann TLM 103 Nickel
The TLM 103 has quickly become one of the biggest successes in Neumann’s history. Its pristine, clear sound is a modern update on the classic U87. The TLM 103 is a transformerless cardioid condenser microphone with a gentle presence boost for a stunningly direct sound with breathtaking definition and ultra-low noise.
The TLM 103 has set new standards for technical performance, too. With an incredibly low self-noise of only 7 dB-A, it is among the quietest microphones available. And its high sensitivity of 23 mV/Pa, ensures ultra-low noise even with budget preamps and audio interfaces or vintage tube equipment. At the same time, the TLM 103 can handle enormous sound pressure levels of up to 138 dB without the need for pre-attenuation. Its vast dynamic range of 131 dB makes the TLM 103 a very easy to use studio microphone as it will capture anything from a soft whisper to a thunderous bass drum without adding noise or distortion.
As a member of Neumann’s TLM series, the TLM 103 works with a transformerless output stage, which minimizes transmission losses and ensures a very immediate, uncoloured sound, true to the original, as well as a clear, powerful bass response, even at the highest signal levels.
The TLM 103 was primarily designed for project studios and broadcast use, but due to its outstanding performance was soon embraced by renowned studios as a more modern-sounding alternative to the U87 e.g. for speech, vocals, drums, guitar amps, and piano. The TLM 103 is also often used as a spot mic in classical recordings e.g. for cello and double bass.
- Large-diaphragm capsule derived from the classic U 87 microphone
- Balanced sound with enhanced presence
- Cardioid pattern
- Transformerless circuitry with high SPL capability
- Extremely low self-noise: only 7 dB-A