Schoeps CMC 641 Matched Supercardioid Stereo Set
CMC 6 U
The CMC 6 U is designed for standard 48 and 12-Volt phantom powering, its circuitry recognises the supply voltage and adjusts itself automatically and the performance characteristics essentially remain the same either way. The main difference is that the current drawn at 12 Volts is greater than at 48 Volts, however the 12-Volt mode consumes less power and might be more favourable for battery power3ed recording applications and scenarios.
The microphone amplifier is responsible for proving the necessary electrical charge to the mics capsule, without which it would then be unable to generate any signal. Since the capsule’s output signal is very weak (Hi-Z), it must then be amplified in order for it to reach the next stage in the signal chain and must undergo balancing and impedance matching before this transition. The CMC 6 incorporates a balanced, direct-coupled class-A amplifier, yielding a low output impedance, high RF shielding and minimal distortion.
- Flat frequency response
- Very low harmonic distortion and noise
- Works with 12V and 48V phantom power
- Balanced, low-impedance output
- High suppression of interference on the microphone cable
- Excellent protection against high-frequency radio interference with "RFI Shield"
- Frequency-independent impedance
- Signal transmission possible over very long cables
- Reliable operation even with weak phantom power
- Symmetrical, transformer- and capacitor-free output stage with a class-A amplifier
- Above 20 kHz, the signal is attenuated for protection against interference in the ultrasonic range, e.g. through the ultrasonic autofocus of a film camera
- Maximum sound pressure level (THD < 0.5 %): with MK 4: 131 dB-SPL (P48, P12)
- Frequency range: 20 Hz - 20 kHz
- Sensitivity: see corresponding capsule
- Maximum output voltage: 1 V (0 dBV) with 1 kΩ load
- Low cut filter: 20 Hz, 12 dB/oct.
- Minimum recommended load impedance: 1 kΩ
- Output impedance: 42 Ω
- Maximum cable length: > 400 m / ~1300ft
- SCHOEPS RFI Shield: Yes
- Powering standard / Valid range: P48 / 20-52 V | P12 / 10-13 V
- Current consumption: 4 mA (P48) | 8 mA (P12)
- Common mode rejection ratio (at 1 kHz): > 55 dB
- Output: XLR-3M, analogue, 1 channel
- Length: 116mm
- Diameter: 20mm
- Weight: 60g
- Surface finish: Matte grey
MK 41 Microphone Capsule
The MK 41 effectively attenuates diffuse sound energy and produces a clear, dry sound pickup. The MK 41’s polar pattern is exceptionally frequency independent, meaning that sounds from the side and back are strongly attenuated, but are picked up with false colouration. This feature has made the MK 41 the international standard for indoor film sound.
The susceptibility of the MK 41 to acoustic feedback is lower than any other Schoeps capsule type, provided that no loudspeaker radiates directly from the rear. The sensitivity minimum of the supercardioid occurs at an approximate angle of incidence at 125o. The directional effect is independent of frequency, so that off-axis and diffuse sound are captured free of any false colouration for a more natural sounding result. Making the MK 41 a real advantage over using shotgun microphones which have appreciably greater directivity only at the higher frequencies and a frequency response that all depends on the direction of the sound incidence.
Overall, in many recording situations the MK 42 is an interesting alternative to a shotgun microphone even if its small dimensions don’t appear to suggest high directivity. As a capsule without an interference tube in front of it, the MK 41 can also be placed closer to sound sources.
- Supercardioid directional pattern
- High directivity, at low and medium frequencies comparable to that of a shotgun microphone
- Natural sound due to flat frequency response which remains largely the same for all directions of pickup. This is particularly important for indoor recording
- Preferred uses: recording dialogue for film sound; as a spot microphone in the orchestra and on the opera stage
- Pickup pattern: Supercardioid
- Frequency range: 40 Hz - 26 kHz with CMC 6 / CMR | 40 Hz - 41 kHz with CMC 6xt
- Sensitivity: -36 dB (V/Pa), 16 mV/Pa with CMC 6
- Equivalent noise level (A-weighted): 14 dB with CMC 6
- Equivalent noise level (CCIR): 23 dB with CMC 6
- Signal-to-noise ratio (A-weighted): 80 dB with CMC 6
- Maximum sound pressure level (THD < 0.5 %): 131 dB-SPL with CMC 6
- Length: 22mm
- Diameter: 20mm
- Weight: 17g
- Surface finish: Matte grey