The R-101 is a modern ribbon microphone designed for studio work and live applications (particularly live electric guitar and brass). It incorporates an advanced multi-layered wind screen for protection from air blasts and plosives, Royer's patented offset-ribbon transducer, an internally shock-mounted ribbon transducer system that provides greater isolation from shocks and vibrations, and reduced proximity effect for closer miking with less bass buildup.
The ribbon element's smooth frequency response and phase linearity impart a warm, analog feel to digital recordings. An ideal choice for electric guitars, brass instruments and drums, the R-101's figure-8 pattern conveys ambience and depth when used for room miking applications.
The R-101 incorporates Royer's patented offset-ribbon technology and a low mass, 2.5-micron aluminum (99.9% pure) ribbon element. The ribbon transducer's flux-frame and rare earth Neodymium magnets create a powerful magnetic field which increases sensitivity while reducing stray magnetic radiation.
The R-101's offset-ribbon transducer (Patent # 6,434,252) positions the ribbon element towards the front (logo) side of the microphone body. This proprietary arrangement gives the ribbon element more room to move within the prime magnetic field and maintain full frequency response during high SPL recordings.
The offset-ribbon transducer also gives you the option of a brighter response when recording lower SPL sound sources on the back side (3 feet and closer; phase reversed in this position). The back side of the mic is often preferred on vocals, acoustic guitars and other stringed instruments.
- High SPL capabilities for electric guitar and percussion
- Multi-layered wind screen provides superior protection to ribbon element
- No internal electronics to overload or produce distortion up to maximum SPL rating
- Extremely low residual noise
- Ribbon element not affected by heat or humidity
- Absence of high-frequency peaks, "ringing" and phase shifts
- Equal sensitivity from front or back of element
- Acoustic Operating Principle: Electrodynamic pressure gradient
- Polar Pattern: Figure-8
- Generating Element: 2.5-micron aluminum ribbon
- Magnets: Rare Earth Neodymium
- Frequency Response: 30 -15,000Hz +/- 3dB
- Sensitivity: -48dB (re. 1v/pa)
- Output Impedance: 300 Ohms @ 1kHz (nominal)
- Maximum SPL: 135dB @ 30Hz
- Rated Load Impedance: 1500 Ohms (or greater)
- Output Connector: Male XLR 3-pin (Pin 2 Hot).
- Dimensions: 200mm L X 36mm W (7.9" L X 1.4" W)
- Weight: 483g (17 oz)
- Finish: Matte Black
- Accessories: Shock mount, carrying case, mic sock
- Microphone Warranty: Lifetime to original owner (repair or replace at Royer's option)
- Ribbon Element Warranty: One year