The system provides simultaneous digital surround and stereo soundscapes at large scale live outside broadcast events such as sports stadiums and concert hall venues.
Uniquely, the multi-channel audio that the DSF-2 microphone system generates from a ‘single point’ source is completely phase coherent. This enables the broadcaster to collapse the surround to stereo or mono for TV and radio feeds without loss of information, frequency imbalance or any of the other phase problems associated with spaced microphones or multi capsule ‘dummy head’ arrangements.
DSF-2 Controller features
The DSF-2 controller outputs stereo, M/S, and four-channel B-Format which can be decoded into any current surround format using the hardware DSF-3 or Surround Zone software plug-in. All microphone parameters can be adjusted from the DSF-2 controller without the need to physically move the mic itself, including orientation, angle, pickup pattern and a unique Mic Rotate control.
- Mic gain control
- Analogue Limiter to catch crowd ‘peaks’ without harsh digital clipping
- 26 segment LED metering of B-Format, or stereo and M/S
- Stereo Controls: variable polar pattern, stereo width and Hi-pass fi lter
- Headphone jack for monitoring
- Capable of driving a mic cable of up to 250m in length
- Connection to coaxial cables of up to 1km long (digital o/p)
DSF-3 surround processor
The DSF-3 is a digital surround processor designed to decode the digital SoundField B-Format signals generated by the DSF-2 systems simultaneously into digital 5.1 surround sound and stereo at any incoming sample rate. Offers a fully digital surround sound production chain when used with DSF-2 system.
- Five segment SoundField B-Format LED input level meters
- Switchable End Fire and Invert mic orientation
- Individual Left, Right, Centre, LFE, Left Surround, Right Surround, output level controls
- 5.1 parameters – Rotate, Front Width, Rear Width, Focus, Polar Patterns
- Simultaneous surround/stereo outputs on broadcast standard AES3 BNC connectors
- Word clock in/out 14. Optical ADAT 5.1 surround/stereo output